Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Similarities of the Leaders' speech

From the both leaders speech, I found out that both of them are very persuasive and confident. Confident in the sense of they do not have any fillers in the speech to show doubt in what they said. The use of “ummm”, “ahhhh” or long pause will let the audience to fell uncomfortable and doubt about the content. So both leaders didn’t have any filler at all in their speech. They are manipulative in the sense of they managed to make people believe and act as they want them to be. As stated in the speech of Winston Churchill, “I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall proves ourselves once again able to defend our Island home….” On the other hand, for Hitler, he says that “we are now standing on this continent and from where we stand nobody will be able to remove us again.”

Besides that, both leaders speech also condemned the other parties in order to make themselves more superior that the others. By doing so, they will be able to gain people’s trust and respect for them. For example, Hitler condemned about England saying that “England those colonies are useless. They cover 40,000,000 square metres. What do they do with them? Absolutely nothing.” Churchill condemned French who is falling out of the war.

Furthermore, both leaders also use the pronoun “I” I the beginning of their speech to gain people’s respect and attention. “I do not want to explain…” “I can only reply…” “I have said…” “I asked the House….” By using the pronoun “I” here in the speech, it shows us the leader’s power towards the people and to show the people how great they are. Towards the end of the speech, they switched the use of pronoun “I” into “WE”. In my opinion, this is because they have managed to get peoples’ attention and respect thus trying to make a good connection with the audience. “We are now standing….” “We are involved in war…” “We have found it necessary…” “We shall prove ourselves once again…”. It’s a good strategy for both leaders by getting the people’s attention first by showing the leader’s power and then making good rapport with the audience in order to unite them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment